Wednesday 9 April 2008

Food Allergy Blogging

Jay Rayner's adolescent rant on food intolerences irritated me. I can't believe I didn't read the article sooner, but it seemed to me to be inflammatory for the sake of it. I normally quite like Rayner, his restaurant criticism tends to be entertaining to read, though not as much as Giles Coren or Adrian Gill.

Though I don't have serious allergies, I have allergies which mean that if I don't avoid wheat and cow's milk I am in great discomfort, and in the case of cow's milk (depending on the amount consumed), extremely unwell. I do not demand that other people cater for me, I just simply ignore what I cannot have on the table. When eating out I try to let the place know in advance, but otherwise order wisely and try to be discreet about it, after all you're out to have a relaxed meal.

Incidentally, the bloke at Planet Lactose had an interesting response to all of this.

No comments: