Saturday 15 March 2008

Iain Mellis Cheesemonger

Today I stopped in once more to Iain Mellis on Victoria Street in Edinburgh.
I bought:
Bruckley - a Ewe's cheese which has a lovely crumbly texture, and isn't overly 'goaty' just very mild and gorgeous with fig jam.
Goat Gouda - a cheese I am obsessed with. Fabulously creamy yet very very firm, nice sweet citrus note on the aftertaste, but nothing overcomplicated or fussy. Just very very good cheese indeed.
I also got one of the little goats cheeses, but haven't opened the parcel yet. I'm a little excited though. It's good to see that Mellis is still good so many years on. Granted, I've only lived in the city for 3 years, but everyone seems to agree that the standard has been maintained for a long time now, and the staff are always so knowledgable, friendly and very willing to help. Especially when it comes to helping you pick out exactly what you're looking for.

In other news, I have just ordered a new Cookery Book. It's been recommended by various fun websites (read, boring dietry blogs) and should be good in teaching me how to make proper wheaty-type things in order to fill in the gaps.



A full review of it will be posted when it's arrived and I've had time to play with some of the recipes, but in the meantime you can order it from here.

No comments: